Alec BurksHt/Wt: 6-6 / 191 lbs
2011 Draft Profile - Alec BurksA late blooming prospect Burks is a long, athletic 6 ft 6 with tremendous athleticism and an NBA game. Burks was unheralded out of high school, grew 3 more inches in college and became one of the nationís best scorers and led CU to turnaround success in a difficult Big 12 conference. Alec is a good creator with the ball, a good one on one game, he can almost always find a good shot or FT opportunity for himself where he is over 80%. Good finisher in transition. He possesses supreme quickness, agility and ball handling and a good leaper. He has a good feel for the game, and consistent scorer reaching double digits every game but 2 where he had 9 points. He is versatile enough to move over to PG for minutes or SF with a little more upper body strength. His greatest strength is to score which to scouts is the best asset for a wing, at just 20 years old with a recent growth spurt he has probably not hit his ceiling. Potential 20points per/game scorer in the NBA.
Since he is a late developer there is still room to add weight and get above 200lbs. Adding strength should be a priority to be able to score through contact, defend and stay healthy at the next level with his attacking style of play. Also, must become a better outside shooter. He was a great rebounder at the guard position, but his steals numbers and commitment to defense was a little disappointing. Also, his assist/turnover ratio was unimpressive, but you can chalk that up to lack of surrounding talent in a difficult conference.
I think Burks is a boom or bust. His NBA comparison would be Latrell Spreewell minus the character problems, the skill set is similar to become a productive scorer in the league but I am afraid that if he is not a more efficient shooter it will make him easy to defend, and if he is not a consistent scorer his value in the NBA will be minimal. Also, his body needs further development to be able to take the physicality of the NBA.
NBA comparison- Latrel Spreewell/ Rashad McCants
Player profile submitted by: Tom Patterson
2. Confidence in his game. Wants the ball, and will get out in transition fast, and go to the hole hard.
3. A good passer, with good court vision.
4. A very good rebounder for a 6' 6" Strong Guard. He follows his shot well, after a miss. He his a good sense of getting to the ball after shots. Not afraid to crash the boards.
5. Very athletic, and has the capability at least at the college level to take a game over, and score, and get to the line.
6. Good free throw shooter.
7. He is long which helps him defend. Can improve in this department, but has done a pretty solid job all season.
8. His jump shot is something that he needs to improve on. It's not bad, and will continue to improve.
9. Alec is a gifted athlete who will continue to get better, but what will make him a great player is to stay focused on playing great defense, and not trying to do to much in crunch time. Take pride in rebounding, and finding the open man for an assist. Through his unselfish playing he will make those around him better, and make himself that much better of an all around player.
Player profile submitted by: Timothy Tobin
Would you like to write a player profile for any prospect that may be entering the 2011 NBA Draft? Email profiles of any player (even playerís not on our list) to our Webmaster. Credit will be given to the author of the profile.
Alec Burks Videos
Alec Burks - Around the Key Dunking Drills
Alec Burks at the Adidas Nations Experience in Chicago
Click here to return